The Senior Adult Ministry of Shandon Baptist Church encompasses those in the general age range of 60 and up. Our belief is that the senior years are not a time for people to simply retire to the rocking chair, but a time to catch a second wind and make a real difference in life using the wisdom and resources that God has afforded them. Our goal is to provide Seniors with opportunities to continue to grow and to continue to serve, while at the same time providing opportunities for meaningful relationships.
If I can be of assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to email me at or call me at the church office at 782-1300, ext. 104. I look forward to the opportunity to do so.
Minister of Missions, Prayer, and Senior Adults
Opportunities for Growth & Fellowship
- SixtyUppers: Monthly Bible Studies, led by Minister of Senior Adults, Jerry Long, are usually held on the third Thursday of each month in our chapel from 10:00 - 10:45 AM. Currently the study is focusing on the life of Joshua.
- Legacy Builders: Monthly Meetings and Luncheons are usually held on the third Thursday of every month. These meetings feature a variety of programs designed to inspire, inform, and entertain. They also provide Seniors with an opportunity to connect and fellowship with other Seniors. The meetings are held in the chapel and begin at 11:00 AM. Lunch follows at noon for $4.50 person. Please call the church office at 782-1300 to make reservations for the meal.
- Senior Adult Sunday School is the best way to get connected with others on Sundays. We invite you to join us in Sunday School. We have a Bible Study class just for you. Please stop by our Welcome Center and they will help you find the best place for you.
- Senior Adult Indoor Picnic with concert by David Spears will be in the gym on Saturday, July 20, at 5pm. For reservations contact Nancy Moran at the church office, 782-1300 or sign up in Sunday School classes beginning June 23. Cost will be $6.
- Fall Trip will be announced at a later date.
Opportunities to Serve:
Shandon Seniors are involved in regular ministry to Connie Maxwell Children’s Home, leading Bible Studies in Columbia area retirement communities, and volunteering at Heartworks Jubilee Academy (a private school for underprivileged inner city children). Seniors are also involved in service projects throughout Columbia as a part of their Sunday School departments and also as a part of churchwide Caring for Columbia projects. If interested, contact Jerry Long.
- Additionally, Shandon Seniors have opportunity to volunteer in a variety of ways within Shandon's ministries - Sunday School leaders, ushers, greeters, Welcome Centers, Homebound ministry, children's ministry, and more.
Now also when I am old and gray headed, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to everyone who is to come.” Psalm 71:18