What to do the day after Election Day
FOR MOST OF US (REGARDLESS OF THE CANDIDATE YOU VOTED FOR), THIS ELECTION CYCLE WILL COME TO A VERY WELCOME END THIS EVENING.
It's been long, exhausting, and rather anxiety-producing! But as we go to sleep tonight, we take comfort in this truth: when we wake up tomorrow morning, Jesus Christ is still seated on the throne of heaven. He is still ultimate authority. No matter who will assume the position of "Leader of the Free World" on January 20, 2017 (Inauguration Day), we know that "there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God" (Romans 13:1).
So whether you wake up happy, disturbed, anxious or elated tomorrow morning, consider this caution from the Apostle Paul:
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. Do this, knowing the time, that it is already the hour for you to awaken from sleep; for now salvation is nearer to us than when we believed. The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
WHAT TO DO THE DAY AFTER ELECTION DAY
- Choose to love your neighbors (whether they voted for the same candidate as you or not). Look for practical ways to serve and love those around you. The world loves those who love them, but as Christ followers, we're called to love even our enemies.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal areas of unrepentance in your heart, and choose to repent (i.e. change to walk in God's way). We must actively "lay aside the deeds of darkness" if we want to follow Christ. Don't let others' sins excuse your own.
- Put on the "armor of light." You are a citizen of heaven (Philippians 3:20) and an ambassador for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20). Reflect the light, love and message of Christ to the world around you even when culture doesn't support your values.
- Resolve to respect the office of the president. Your vote may not have put him or her there, but actually God is ultimately the One who granted that authority (Romans 13:1). He/She is your president. Pray for him/her. He/She is going to need it!
- Rest in the knowledge that God remains in control. Trust Him and remain in Him, remembering that nothing is left outside of His control (Hebrews 2:8), He "deposes kings and raises up others" (Daniel 2:21), and He is our source of stability (Isaiah 33:6).
DOWNLOAD AND SHARE
Download this social media graphic and share that, regardless of who becomes president, the LORD God is our hope, truth, source and salvation.