Food from the Heart
The most recent Food from the Heart: Saturday, March 9, 2013
Food from the Heart is Shandon's annual community food drive. In partnership with Northside Baptist Church, WLTX, 89.7 WMHK, Harvest Hope Food Bank, and numerous area grocery stores, we are on mission to put a huge dent in the hunger problem of Richland and Lexington counties.
2013's Food from the Heart (March 26) raised 57.7 tons (yes, TONS!) of food and nonperishable items for Harvest Hope Food Bank. A big thanks to all the volunteers from Shandon and Northside Baptist Church for their time and effort to benefit Harvest Hope Food Bank and bless the Midlands residents.
Harvest Hope dedicates 98¢ out of every dollar donated to providing food for the hungry, and can provide 5 meals for a dollar. The Food From the Heart 2013 total provided more than 157,580 meals.
When next year's Food from the Heart rolls around, here's how you can help out:
- Shop at participating stores and purchase items to donate to Harvest Hope & area food pantries. (Pick up a list of participating stores in the Gathering Place, or download one here.)
- Sign up below to be a volunteer
(Click here for volunteer training information.)
- Grocery Store Volunteer: Can you smile and be friendly? We need your help with passing out flyers and bags and encouraging shoppers to purchase items to donate. Sign up to be a grocery store volunteer in your Sunday School class.
- Pickup Truck Vounteer: Got a full-size pickup truck? Help transport donations from stores to Harvest Hope.
- Food Sorter: Do you have a “get it done” personality? Help sort and box donations at Harvest Hope from 4-7pm.
To volunteer or for additional information, visit the kiosk in the Gathering Place (available on Sundays starting in February 2014) or volunteer by completing the form below. Volunteers, find training documents and videos here.